Forest Products Permits

A Specialized Forest Products Harvesting Permit is required when harvesting and/or transporting the following:

  1. Christmas Trees
    Definition: Any type of tree such as Pine, Spruce, Fir, Hemlock, etc.
    Amount: More than 5 trees
  2. Native Ornamental Trees
    Definition: Any trees or shrubs, not nursery grown, removed from ground with the roots intact.
    Amount: More than 5 trees or shrubs
  3. Cut or Picked Evergreen Foliage
    Definition: Evergreen boughs, huckleberry, salal, fern, Oregon grape, rhododendron, mosses, bear grass, scotch broom. Not cones or seeds.
    Amount: More than 5 pounds
  4. Cedar Products
    Definition: Cedar shake boards, shake and shingle bolts, and rounds one to three feet in length.
    Amount: Any
  5. Cedar Salvage
    Amount: Any
    Definition: Cedar chunks, slabs, stumps, logs with greater volume than one cubic foot and:
    1. Being harvested or transported from areas not associated with logging of timber stands where:
      • Application approved by DNR, or
      • Contract or permit issued by U.S. Government.
  6. Processed Cedar Products
    Definition: Cedar shakes, shingles, fence posts, hop poles, pickets, stakes, rails, or rounds less than one foot in length.
    Amount: Any
  7. Wild Edible Mushrooms
    Definition: Edible mushrooms not cultivated or propagated by artificial means.
    Amount: Three gallons of single pieces of wild edible mushrooms and more than an aggregate total of 9 gallons of wild edible mushrooms, plus one wild edible mushroom.
  8. Cascara Bark
    Definition: The bark of the Cascara Tree.
    Amount: More than 5 pounds

A Specialized Forest Products Harvesting Permit is NOT required when harvesting and/or transporting the following:

  1. Nursery-grown products.
  2. Logs (except "cedar salvage" definition), poles, pilings, or other major forest products from which all limbs and branches have been removed.
  3. Cedar Salvage when harvested concurrently with timber stand with approved forest practices application or with issued contract or permit by U.S. Government.

Harvesting Permits

A specialized Forest Products Harvesting Permit is required when harvesting and/or transporting the forest products listed in the guide.

There is no cost for this permit (RCW 76.48).


  1. Must be picked up at the Sheriff’s Office.
  2. Must be signed by the person hauling the product upon application.
  3. Require a driver's license or valid picture ID.

Please review the Harvesting Permit Guide (PDF) for more information.

Firewood Permit Sources Information

Cut Firewood Only

Definitions of "Firewood" differ. However, never cut up logs or standing trees which are destined for other uses such as pulp, lumber, plywood or trees being grown for future timber harvests. During a logging operation trees are felled, limbs cut off, and trees cut into logs of specific lengths. These can be found along logging roads. Loggers refer to this as "felled and bucked" timber. Sometimes there will be several logs in a pile, which is called a "log deck". Timber like this is NOT firewood! Please do not cut these logs - the loggers' livelihood and the state's economy depend upon it. Only under certain circumstances do firewood permits include authority to cut standing, green trees.