Jury Duty Information
If you are selected for Superior Court Jury duty, your term will be two weeks. However, that does not mean that you will spend the entire two weeks at the courthouse: you are "on-call" for jury duty for any trial starting during your term. A trial may extend beyond this term.
Prospective jurors should call our recorded jury message line the Friday evening prior to their jury term at 360-417-2450 for the latest information as to whether they may be required to report for service.
State law mandates that jurors are selected from voter registration, driver's license and identicard holders.
Juror Call-in Procedure
The Courts use a call-in system with a recorded message to inform you if your service will be required. The Jury Clerk will list your juror group Number and advise you where and when to report. Please listen to the complete message. The recorded message phone number is 360-417-2450.
- Call before your first assigned day of jury duty (anytime over the weekend after 5 pm Friday evening).
- Call each subsequent evening during the week after 5 pm, or as directed the previous day on the recording.
- If you have questions, please contact the Jury Clerk at 360-417-2231 or email us.
When you first report for jury duty, have available your mileage from your home to the courthouse.
For additional information on steps taken to protect the health and safety of jurors and frequently asked questions regarding the COVID-19 Pandemic and resuming jury trials, please see Special Jury Information during the COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF).
- Is jury service mandatory?
The United States Constitution and the Washington State Constitution guarantee the right to trial by jury. Failure to attend as directed may subject you to penalties provided by state law. All Clallam County residents are obligated by state law to serve as a juror unless they:
- Are not a United States citizen
- Are under 18 years of age
- Are unable to communicate in the English language
- Are a convicted felon and your civil rights have not yet been restored
- I have a planned vacation on the date I have been summonsed. Should I request an exemption?
No. Your jury duty obligation can be postponed (deferred) up to three times if you meet specific criteria. You must request to postpone your service prior to your current report date. To request a postponement, call 360-417-2231.
- I am self-employed. Are the self-employed exempt form jury duty?
No. There are no occupational or professional exemptions from this obligation of citizenship.