General Complaints

Clallam County Food Safety Specialists respond to all complaints in a timely manner. This usually involves a visit to the site in question, assessment of the problem, working with the site owner or manager to correct the problem, and education of other staff to avoid the problem in the future.

You may make a complaint in person, by phone or by email. Complaint Frown

When making a complaint, please include the following:

  • Your name and a way to contact you (phone and / or email). You may make an anonymous complaint, but this limits the Food Safety Specialist's ability to gather more information about the situation.
  • The name and location of the food establishment. We can only perform inspections at facilities located in Clallam County, Washington.
  • The unsafe food handling practices you observed or experienced. The date and time of your experience is helpful as well.