Notice About Diversion or Court

If you choose to go to Court, or if you miss more than one appointment for an interview or more than one appointment for an Accountability Board, your case could go to Juvenile Court. If you fail your Diversion Agreement, your case will or could go to Juvenile Court.

You should be aware of the following information about cases that are returned to the Juvenile Court:

  1. Juvenile Court is a very formal process that can require up to five different appearances, although usually not that many are required. All cases must be seen at the Juvenile Court in Port Angeles. There is travel expense and time lost from schools and work as all appointments are between 8 am to 4:30 pm
  2. You may be entitled to a free lawyer (Public Defender), or you can act as your own Attorney or hire one.
  3. If you go to Juvenile Court and are found guilty:
  4. You will be assigned a probation officer.
  5. You may be assigned Community Service Work (CSW) hours.
  6. You may be ordered to complete various assessments or participate in classes.
  7. You may be fined.
  8. You will have to pay restitution to a victim if there was damage to persons or property or a stolen object was not returned or there is a loss in any way to a victim.
  9. If your case is returned to Juvenile Court and you do not meet the terms of the Court Order you can then be given detention time for up to 30 days.
  10. You will have a conviction on your record and the record remains open until sealed or destroyed by court order.