What are landowners required to do about noxious weeds?

The state weed law makes landowners responsible for the eradication of Class A and the control of Class B designated noxious weeds on their property. This law applies to all landowners including the state, local governments and agencies, and private citizens. The federal government is subject to the Federal Noxious Weed Act, which is similar to Washington's weed law. Landowners who fail to control Class A and Class B designate noxious weeds on their property may be subjected to monetary penalties and/or billed for the cost of control.

No specific method of control is required; the landowner may chose any cultural, mechanical, chemical, or biological method that obtains the desired result. The type of control selected by the landowner should take into consideration the weed, its life cycle, distribution, and location. Local contractors (PDF) are also available to control weeds for landowners who don't wish to do it themselves. If a landowner buys chemicals or biocontrol agents to control any plant on the state weed list, Clallam County can reimburse them up to half of the cost. The property needs to be inspected both before and after control is carried out, and some restrictions may apply. For more details about this Cost-Share program, please call the Noxious Weed office at 360-417-2442.

Show All Answers

1. What are noxious weeds?
2. What's a weed list?
3. What are landowners required to do about noxious weeds?
4. How is the Noxious Weed Control Program funded?
5. What's this weed? Is it required control?
6. Do you have a list of contractors who can help me with my weeds?