Marriage Licenses

Both parties must be present to apply for a marriage license at the Auditor's office. No appointment is necessary. A current photo ID is required.

If it is not possible for both parties to come in together you may download an application and the instructions from our website. Your signatures on the completed application must be acknowledged by a notary public. View the Application for a Marriage License (PDF) to print the instructions, information sheet, and application.

There are no blood tests, witnesses, birth, or divorce certificates required to apply for a marriage license. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the final decree of dissolution is filed before applying for a new marriage license.

Applicants do not have to be residents of the State of Washington to obtain a marriage license. The license is only valid for weddings that are performed within the State of Washington.

Age Requirements

  • Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Applicants 17 years of age must have their parent or legal guardian sign a release form.
  • Applicants 16 years of age or younger must obtain a court order from the Superior Court.

Waiting Period and Expiration

There is a 3 day waiting period beginning the first day after you apply for your license and ending the third day following the application. The license is valid for 60 days beginning on the 3rd day after application.

License Fee

There is a $62 fee for marriage licenses due at the time of application. Cash, money orders, cashier's check, or debit/credit cards (in person only - credit card processing fees will be added) are accepted at this time. Personal checks are not accepted.

Performing the Ceremony

State law prescribes who can perform a marriage ceremony: active and retired Supreme Court justices, Court of Appeals judges, Superior Court judges, Superior Court commissioners, and judges of courts of limited jurisdiction, as well as any regularly licensed or ordained minister or priest of any church or religious denomination. See Revised Code of Washington 26.04.050 for a complete list.

Ministers from any state may perform marriage ceremonies, but the ceremony must be performed in the State of Washington.

Marriages are Public Record

All marriage records are a matter of public record. The one exception to this is for those enrolled in the State's Address Confidentiality Program. Once a license has been recorded, it cannot be "unrecorded."

Copies of Marriage Licenses

Certified copies of marriage licenses can be requested. Requests may be made in person or by mail. 

In Person

To request in person, please come to the Recording Department located at:
223 E 4th Street
Suite 1
Port Angeles, WA 98362

Pay by cash, money order, or debit/credit card only. Personal checks are not accepted.

By Mail

To request by mail, fill out a Request Form (PDF) and send it to the address on the form. Pay by money order only. Personal checks are not accepted.

  • Certified Copies: $3 each
  • Photocopies: $1 each